- 4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato (about 4 large)
- 4 cups low-sodium tomato juice
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- Basil leaves, thinly sliced (optional)
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
Bring tomato and juice to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes.
Place tomato mixture and basil in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in milk, salt, and pepper. Add cream cheese, stirring well with a whisk, and cook over medium heat until thick (about 5 minutes). Ladle soup into individual bowls; garnish with sliced basil, if desired. Serve with bread.
Calories 133Caloriesfromfat 30 %Fat 4.4 gSatfat 2.4 gMonofat 1.3 gPolyfat 0.4 gProtein 5.4 gCarbohydrate 18.7 gFiber 1.9 gCholesterol 12 mgIron 1.5 mgSodium 310 mgCalcium 77 mgSmart points: 4
Yield: 8 servings
serving size: 1 cup soup and 1 bread slice