This New Orleans-inspired slow-cooker dish with chicken and Andouille sausage simmered in a rich tomato broth, is perfect tomake for Fat Tuesday!
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 9 ounces chicken Andouille sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 ounces (1/2 a 6-ounce can) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 ¾ teaspoons Creole seasoning
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 3 scallions, chopped (for garnish)
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, for serving (optional)
- Place all of ingredients in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the slow cooker. Evenly distribute the creole among 6 bowls and top each with green onions. Serve alone or over brown rice.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 7
- Calories: 244 calories
- Total Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Sodium: 956mg
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 7g
- Protein: 27g